Friday, April 25, 2008

Pedagogical Pop features Say (All I Need)

My friend, Yoga, commented that the lines that struck a nerve with him were -

Do you think you can find it?
Better than you had it

His comment prompted us both to look at the meaning of the words here. I then realized that, to me, this OneRepublic song is uplifting, instead of depressing. An internal chat, rather than questions I ask someone else; definitely not a lament of a broken soul.

When I listen to this song, I feel like I'm sitting down by a river or in a Japanese garden, listening to a dialog between my logical brain with my heart.

You see, sometimes something happens and the brain says "wait a tic - this doesnt make bloody sense" . Then she gets a little bit loopy and forces me to decide on the next step purely from a logical point of view. At the end of the day though, my brain is not happy. That's why she asked:

Do you know where your love is?
Do you think that you lost it?
You felt it so strong,
but nothing's turned out how you wanted


I feel like my brain is asking my heart for advice, or even criticizing her for being somewhat naive, and telling her off; to 'get real'. My heart says -

Bless my soul,you're a lonely soul,
cause you won't let go of anything you hold
Well, all I need is the air I breathe
And a place to rest my head

My heart quickly follows up with her questions too -

Do you know what your fate is,
And are you trying to shake it
You're doing your best and your best look,
You're praying that you make it

I believe in the linkage between my heart and my logical brain. My heart asks my brain to believe in the link between them. This link is important for me to maintain my inner harmony. To always remember that living this life is most meaningfully done through doing the right things and doing things right. That's the reason why I find this song uplifting, instead of depressing. It's about hope. It's about moving forward in life. It's about living my life and discovering the purpose of ME. My heart again encourages my brain to trust the link by asking, gently -

Whenever the end is,
Do you think you can see it?
Well, until you get there, go on -
go ahead and scream it.
Just say.

My heart is saying to my head that they both are on the same side. The highest purpose of both my heart and my brain is to take care of me. And that's the message I get from this song. That's why it cheers me up every time.

2 comments:

shazisultan said...

i share your sentiments. however, in case of the link between heart and brain - this is where our breakdown usually stems from. on one end, you are striving to connect the 'link' that you feel is there. me, on the other hand, i know its there and i'm trying my damnest best to UNlink it. to keep them both separate. to compartmentalize them into different folders. i also feel our heart speaks stronger but the brain tries to meddle and justifies or rationalizes or tries to find the logic in the situation. Hell, i dont need that voice! at work, maybe, dealing with everyday situations like crossing the road, maybe. but not when it comes to matters of the heart. or rather, soul. i wana live. be it painful. be it in ecstasy. be it just for one night. i wana live. i wana feel. i dont want to be numb. i dont want to be fearful of 'what if....'. i dont want to live my life from a man's wants. i am not insecure. i am not lacking in confidence. i am not coy. nor am i shy. yes, i've had a tough life. i've had my share of gut-wrenching pain so bad it has made me sick with vomit. i have lived life. i have felt. i have been in pain. and i will continue walking the path, maybe even going through the same nooks and crannies that i swore i would never tread on - here's it right here - the brain will not allow you to walk the same path. the brain will play in your ear - so soft that no one can hear but so loud you'll have no choice but to follow the instructions - you'll get hurt. dont go there. you'll get hurt. he'll leave you. you'll get hurt. stop calling him. you'll get hurt. stop!. i say, NO!!!! dont stop. walk on. hold your head up high. walk on. do you think you can find it? better than you had it? maybe not. maybe you will. maybe never in a million years. but dont stop walking. dont stop looking. forge on. do you know where your love is? do you think that you lost it? never!!!! coz though he may have gone and prob might never return, but the love is still there. within your soul. trust me. you never lost it. its your right to love. no one can take that away. you never lost it. nothing might turn out the way you wanted it coz you expected it to turn out a certain way - the brain again. messing with your soul. dont expect. dont think. youre missing the moments in between when you lose yourself in your thoughts. live. live. live. catch the moments that take your breath away. dont orchestrate whats next. let it flow. youre holding on too tight. let it go. let it go. lose it, coz if youre holding on, you'll be holding on forever - you'll be in hiding and no one lse can see you - or hold you. let it go. lose it. and reach out again. with empty hands. this has been the story of my life. Shazi

Kryptonite said...

I hear ya, babe. And to me, the 'breakdown' you mentioned happens when the link between my heart and my brain out of sync.

So far, I'm at peace with this idea: standing alone, my brain OR my heart does not represent my mind. My mind is represented by the harmonious link of my logical brain AND my heart. My brain AND my heart are on the same side; to ensure the wellbeing of me.

Take care!
Faz