Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Sunshine

I won passes to watch Danny Boyle's movie, Sunshine. I gave the other 3 passes to Jennie, Chris and Ayu, and we met up in GSC 1U to watch the movie. After surrendering our mobile phones, we settled into our seats. There were some funny games and stuff, courtesy of the host, and then, before we knew it, the movie came on. Great CGIs. Stuff really needed to be seen on the big screen. The dying sun, the space shuttle Icarus 2, the oxygen garden. AND naturally, my hero, Hiroyuki Sanada (you'd need Quicktime to view that video there).

Even after so many weeks, some parts of the movie are still in my brain. The trip to the sun alone, took more than 18 months. In the movie, it wouldve taken the astronauts another 2 years or so for them to return to earth. Imagine that. A 4-year assignment where you'd be living with the same 7 people. Be with them, and only them, for 4 years. I'm not too wild about the movie, and I've been through the discussion topics on IMDB.com, lambasting the movie's Hollywoodization of the science of our sun and the rest of the solar system. To them I say this: there are a few instances in life where judgement, and up to a certain extent, reality, need to be suspended in order to enjoy the moment or to have some sense of reason behind actions. Hell, we go through this suspension of belief on a daily basis sometimes. Where, you might ask me? The workplace, for one. To make family relationships work, would be another instance. So I suspended my own personal judgement watching that movie. One poignant moment for me was when the Icarus crew arrived near Mercury. I figured if I were an astronaut, a botanist, a physicist or a pilot, and I was on a mission to save my planet, I too would be in awe watching Mercury orbiting the sun.

Interesting movie, and an absolutely interesting soundtrack.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it a while ago. Truthfully, was not too impressed lah, esp the scene where Michelle Yeoh goes "baby..." and gets spiked in the gut from behind. Like we didn't see that one coming!
SC

Kryptonite said...

Well, when Hiro Sanada's character got fried to a crisp in the movie, it took all my politeness to stay. I wanted to leave already at that point! He he he

F

Anonymous said...

A surprisingly engaging movie. The view of the sun was magnificient esp when you see it on the big screen.

Kryptonite said...

FC,
I, too, was surprised at how I took the movie. At first, after my Hiro went and did the 'Uncle Bob crispy fried chicken' thing, I thought I'd be napping till the end. For all its flaws, this turned out to be a more memorable movie to me than a few that I've watched lately. For now, it's back to Sanada-san's 'Tasogare Seibei' for me :)

Thanks for stopping by, guys!
F