Sunday, February 25, 2007

Zen and the art of Star Wars :-)

No, this is not a review of the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance :-) I do have that book and I have read it, though. I love it and it's something worth going back to repeatedly. One thing for sure, at least for me, that I had more fun reading this than reading Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

Spent a few days in the east coast with my family and aside from catching up with my reading, I also managed to watch a few of my favorite movies. One of them is Star Wars Ep V: the Empire Strikes Back. Here is one of my favorite moments:

[Luke's ship sinks into the mud]
Luke: We'll never get it out now!
Yoda: So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?
Luke: All right, I'll give it a try.
Yoda: No. Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Luke: You ask for the impossible. [Starts to walk away in frustration]

[Using the Force, Yoda effortlessly frees the X-Wing from the bog]
Luke: I don't...I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you fail.

Lessons learned:
Not only it's important to work hard on achieving what we want, we also need to believe in what we want.

Which means:
First things first - we need to really know what we want, right?

This is one question that many of us just dont ask ourselves. Or maybe we do ask ourselves, but a lot of times, we dont dare to give an honest answer. In many cases, there is one recurring theme: a lot of us feel that we dont deserve all the good things that we want, that we are asking for. Therefore, we dont put in a lot of effort to figure out what we really want in life.

Well here's an interesting theory. Try this one on for size. Ask for what you want. You deserve it. Believe in it. Let go of the things that make you unhappy, things that do not put you in a state of happiness and joy. Look into yourself and decide what you want. Decide what you want to do. Decide the kind of person you want to become. Then do it. Dont try. There is no 'try'. Just do, or do not. And believe that your purpose in life is what you make of it.

No comments: