Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Faith healed

Just when I thought I'd managed to lose all faith in the the goodness of human heart, I chanced upon a quote by Ghandi.

“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Here's the funny/interesting thing - right after I read that, I felt my forehead soften, making a frown (that I had not been aware of earlier) disappear. My jaws unclenched - I didn't realize that they had been tense before. My eyebrows lifted and the areas around my eyes relaxed. My facial muscles melt into a small smile.

So today's Chautauqua is about healing. I want to remind myself that I am responsible to heal myself, and my subconscious mind is capable of that.

I have been rather negative very recently, without realizing it. Ever since I found myself in the middle of a misunderstanding between a young girl and her beau. She thinks what she has with her bloke is something really special and exclusive, whereas the bloke has always been very publicly clear about how single his matchstick is. Perhaps she believes that he's only keeping his toothbrush in her mug and only hers, when hers is not the only mug that's storing his toothbrush around town. I naturally checked him out the best I could, before rubbing noses with him, but I suppose I girl can go wrong sometimes...

However, it was quite the loveliest month, I must say. Regardless of his charming raconteur ways and slight braggart exterior, when we were alone, what shone through was his gentle warmth and humility. A strong desire to please those with him, an endearing unpretentiousness - perfectly happy to laugh at himself (I had a lot of opportunity to do that, yeh). We spoke on the phone a lot too, and emailed each other when we were not together.

Then the bombshell landed - such harsh words were spoken by someone so young. A seductress, she called me. Such a sad, pitiful, deceitful life, she called mine. For snatching someone that belonged to someone else, she maintained. My innocence? No such thing, according to her.

As much as I thought I didn't give a rat's ass about it, I guess I was a bit bothered by the bitterness. In fact, I'm still a little bit bothered by it.

No - I will go back to Gandhi's quote now. And have a little bit of healing.


No comments: